Five years ago I was playing the Korean & Japanese beta of RO2: The Gate of World. The betas ended and there was no sign of life until the whole thing was scrapped and out came RO2: Legent of the Second. After a long KR beta, a shitty SEA beta, finally we get the North American beta. I can finally play the game I’ve wanted to play for years and after a week and a half all I can say is: This game is destined to fail.
Alright so I kinda knew it wasn’t gonna be great coming in BUT I wanted to give them a chance. However after a week and a half with many people reporting bugs and issues what do they do? They roll out multiple “buy cash items” promotions instead. Look dude, you wanna roll out cash promos? I’m cool with that but that’s AFTER you fix all the underlying problems within the game.
If you haven’t yet played RO2 and are thinking about it here’s a list of my current complaints with the game that may make you change your mind:
- Dungeons that are too difficult for your level: I have now hit level 25 and I’m stuck on a quest where you have to kill the bosses of Izlude dungeon – more than 1 time. We gathered a party of 4 level 25’s (Wizard, Priest, Assassin & Hunter), and 1 level 27 Knight. We managed to kill one of the mini bosses but when we got to the tentacle monster Penomena, it wiped us all out in a span of 60 seconds with 3-4 attacks that did 250 damage each. This quest and this dungeon is level 22 – 26 and the quest we got at level 24. It is actually physically impossible to do this dungeon with a full party of 5 at our level. In fact I get the feeling this will ONLY be possible when I reach level 30+. By then, not only will the monsters in that dungeon give me 0 exp, but the quest rewards I get from those quests will be already worse than whatever I am currently wearing. Due to me not doing this quest, this keeps other quests from unlocking and basically since quests are the best way to level, I am pretty much forced to only do daily repeatable quests OR mindlessly grind like it’s 2003.
- Targeting System Sucks: To target a monster you have to click either on the monster or hit tab. When you’re alone or with a friend it’s not bad but when you are in a dungeon and 4 people are attacking 1 guy it’s hard to click target. Naturally you go ahead and hit tab and what does it target? Your party member. Great. I’m hitting tab, pressing my attack but nothing happens because instead of targeting the agro frog, I’m targeting my assassin.
- Unbelievable Lag: You know why there’s lag? Because there’s at least 5 countries playing on this server when they shouldn’t be. Yea there’s people who should be playing RO2SEA but they are playing on RO2NA. They claimed to have banned Brazil right? I saw a guild called “BRAZIL” with a Brazilian flag logo. Yea clearly they banned nobody and that’s why the server is over capacity daily on all 20 channels. The lag is so bad that you can die from the lag as well as I saw an assassin attacking invisibly while still riding his peco.
- There’s no combat variety: When I was a mage I was hitting mostly 1 over and over again. Now that I’m a wizard I hit 1 then once in a while maybe 2 but mostly just 1 over & over again. Some of my other skills just don’t do any damage compared to fire so I have no reason to put points into them. In RO1, using elemental skills made a huge difference. You couldn’t do much damage with fire on water property monsters but in RO2, fire can pretty much kill anything. I remember in RO1 my priest and wizard had a full bar of skills to use. In Ro2 my bar is filled with dumb crap like “mount peco” and emoticons as well as a few potions.
- The translations are fucking terrible: It looks like NA just took the RO2SEA client and used all of their translations. Let’s face it, southeast Asia isn’t the best example of proper grammar and English and the fact that NA didn’t even bother to do a translation or grammar check is appalling. Sometimes I try to read the quests to see what’s going on and I just give up because it makes NO SENSE. There’s often typos between the same names for example I’ve seen IZLUDE and IZRUDE.
- Agro monsters respawn faster than you can loot: I’m in mushroom forest and I gotta kill some poison spores and get their item for a quest. I kill one, and as I run to pick up its item, ANOTHER ONE RESPAWNS ON TOP OF IT and instead of picking up the item I am now forced into battle. This is of course great for respawns of bosses or mini bosses, but for regular ol’ grinding and questing? Blah. It’s not so bad when the monsters are spread out but in mushroom forest, agros everywhere so even if the monster you killed doesn’t respawn, something else will come after you and waste enough time for the other one to respawn anyway. The respawn time is less than 60 seconds which is absolutely ridiculous.
- You are forced to buy cash items to complete in game quests: One of the great features of RO2 are the khara quests. Aside from the usual talk to John Smith and kill 10 wolves, there’s quests just for you like kill a certain mini boss or die 10 times. The quests are all interesting and some are challenging but there is one quest which I will never do and NEVER forgive either SEA or NA for doing this: spend $60 to buy 3 super large bags. Whoa what the fuck? You want me to spend$60 just so I can complete some in game quest to get exp? How about you kiss my ass? I’m not against spending money on f2p games. I know the makers need to get paid too but I’m against spending money on ridiculous shit like this. If I’m gonna spend money I want to do it because I WANT an item not because I have to complete some in game quest. Also the cost of items is absurd. In tartaros to open 20 slots cost $4. Here it costs $20. What the fuck? Yea good luck with that one Warp Portal!
- Those god damn trees: In RO1, if there were trees in your viewfinder, they would become transparent so it would be easier to see when you walk through a forest. In RO2 the freaking trees CONSTANTLY block my view. This is especially horrible when the monster or boss I’m trying to fight is in an area that’s FULL OF TREES (i.e. the chon chon mini boss.) I don’t know what the designers were thinking or not thinking but this grates my nerves on a daily basis.
- Party is limited to 5 people: What the hell really. Okay in Tartaros it was 5 also but in Gate of World we could have like 10 or 12 (I forget the exact number.) I remember there was a quest to kill the boss wolf and all of us bunched up in a huge party and did it. Hey I bet if there was 10 of us in that Izlude dungeon then it wouldn’t be impossible now would it??? Even RO1 allowed more than 5 in a party. Ro2LOTS you’re lame.
- Khara quests unlock in a stupid order: I’m killing mushrooms for a level 24 quest. However, there’s a similar mushroom killing khara quest but it doesn’t unlock until I’m level 27. So now I am forced to go BACK to an area to finish a khara quest instead of allowing me to do the quest when it’s the proper level. Basically it means the game is making you grind monsters that will then give you little to no exp.
- Purchasable quests are a waste of money: There’s a Monster Busters guy in every town. He sells quests you can buy to kill x monsters and gain some exp. However the amount of money you spend on quests are not NEARLY the amount of money you receive from killing monsters/selling their junk or worth the exp you get. It’s more efficient to just grind without the dumb quest or to get a repeatable daily quest.
- Those god awful voices: I’m not talking about voices for the player characters I mean those AWFUL NPC VOICES. Seriously the kafra who sings about you using STOOORAAGE like some opera singer. The auction lady who sounds like she smokes 6 packs a day and lives in NEW YOOHK. All the burly old sounding voices that are applied to young looking male model characters..which brings me to my next point:
- All the models in game are the same: The same model for the female and male players is the same model they use for all the npcs. In Tartaros at least you had lolis, shotas, old fat men, fat granmdas, short dudes, you name it. Here? Every male monster/npc/character is the same save for clothes or hair. All the females are large breasted and have the same body style. This is why it makes all the “varied” NPC voices sound even more awkward.
- Party system is busted: In Tartaros, if you wanted to gather a party, you made a party and it would display publicly so anyone who wanted to join would just click on it and be warped to where you are. In here it makes no sense and it displays throughout ALL channels so someone in a different channel than you sees it. They try to join but instead of being warped to where everyone else is, nothing happens. This person is then forced to logout, log back in and join the appropriate channel and run manually to where everyone has gathered. On the topic of parties, it’s really damn hard to gather a party especially with the 5 person limit. I have found myself in a party of 4 quite often and it seems like getting that 5th person is always a problem. Also it doesn’t help the server’s full of people who shouldn’t be there so they don’t speak English and will usually stay away from parties because they’re afraid to be banned. (Though have no fear my foreign comrades because Warp Portal doesn’t give a fuck who plays on their server as long as they keep gambling…which brings me to my next point….)
- The price of cash items is absurd and some lottery items are NOT permanent: I already complained about the bag thing but let’s talk about the other cash items. Mounts. For example, there’s a “mount box” in which you gamble $6 for a chance to win a permanent mount. However, within that box, there is only ONE permanent mount and like 6 other mounts that only last 14 days. Great so I have to keep gambling to win a mount period, and then hope it’s a permanent one?? What a joke. Gambling for non permanent items…oh yes Bright Shadow! And well you know where that game ended up! That also brings me to the fact that when you buy an outfit gamble box you have the chance of winning an outfit for a gender character you don’t have. Yes I know Pangya does this but Pangya also allows you to store all your outfits for all your characters. In Ro2 it seems like you cannot actually move outfits between characters! In fact you have to have a friend trade the outfit from you, and then trade it back to your other character who perhaps may have the correct gender for it. (Which also brings me to the point that storage is not shared between all your characters and this is what’s demotivated me from making more than1 character.)
- Auction House access is shit: The auction is only accessible in Prontera and Alberta. I fucking hate both because it’s a horrid maze and I still get lost trying to figure out how to get to all the stairs. If I’m in Payon, which is 2 towns away I’m not gonna waste time or money to go check to Prontera auction! In fact a lot of people could be missing out on selling their junk simply because people are too lazy to bother going back there just to see what’s on sale.
- All the cute hats are cash only: In RO2 GOTW, I remember getting a ton of hats. Ribbons, star head band, rhoda frog you name it. Here, the only time I see non boring hats are in the cash shop. Sorry but I can’t afford to spend 100 zeny for a pair of cat ears! I need the money so I can buy potion bottles to level up my alchemist job! The only hats I’ve gotten are boring caps or fur hats. No ears, no antennas, nothing. The big point of RO1 was collecting hats and taking this out of Ro2 is just crap. I haven’t even see any NPCs where you can say gather items to MAKE a hat. Additionally some cash shop hats are gender based as well which sucks even more. In RO1 I saw dudes wearing purple and pink ribbons, hah!
- The engine this game runs on can’t be helped: Ro2GOTW was made on Unreal engine 2 but this game is made with Gamebryo which as far as I was told, is actually an OLDER engine. Not only that but I read that Gamebryo is extremely buggy. It’s almost like a domino effect where fixing 1 bug will almost surely cause another. For example, I get pink boxes when I miss an attack instead of a “miss” icon all because my PC locale is set to Japan. How stupid is this?? I’m not going to change my locale every time I start up RO so now I have to pretty much deal with fugly pink boxes. The multitude of bugs in the game that Warp Portal won’t fix are probably bugs that maybe they TRIED to fix but the consequences of fixing them probably caused bigger problems so they figured it wasn’t worth it. I would even go ahead and believe that changing “translations” probably causes problems due to various character counts so they just left it that way. 🙄 With this in mind, I firmly believed the bugs in this game will never actually be fixed and since you can’t change the engine without starting over – this game will never improve and will continue to be just as shitty as it is in beta form. (This includes the fucking annoying as hell trees that consistently block my view.)
- The job change doesn’t feel as rewarding: In RO1 I remember grinding so hard just to be able to get to assassin from my thief. Once I became assassin I got my shiny new assassin outfit and well it felt like a pretty big deal. In this game, I just had to help some ho find her drugs and then kill dracula and bam I’m a wizard. I couldn’t even tell I became a wizard aside from seeing the wizard skill menu open up. My outfit didn’t change and in fact to be able to wear wizard clothes I just have to hope my artisan friend makes them for me or they drop from a quest/monster. At the moment all I got was a Wizard wand and wizard pants. Until I get the shirt though, I still look no different than when I was a mage. I mean the upside was that I didn’t have to start as a noob and I could pick my class immediately.
- There’s a lack of maps and world: Just like in Tartaros, RO2 lacks maps. Ro1 you could go in many towns and fields to level up but in Ro2 there’s only a certain area with a certain level monster. Because Ro2 has a 2 level range for earning 100% exp, if you kill guys 3 levels above or below you start to lose exp. Now you are pretty much forced to kill the same area of guys for a while until you level up and this becomes even more apparent when you run out quests to do.
- The amount of money you earn in the game does not equate with the money you spend: I didn’t personally encounter this yet but this is something I got from the forums:
about 1 hour Farming Scratch Thieves:
-163 blue hoods
-2 STR Boost Potions V
-2 STR Potion V
-12 HP food
-8 SP Food.
Total earned = about 6z
Total spent = Kafra Travel from Alberta to Belssing of Road (3z) + repair cost (10z) = 13z
That is painful and get me want to quit this bad designed game xD
Anyway sorry for the huge list of complaints but after playing countless MMOs where they just sink down to only “cash item” as being the updates I’m getting sick of this repeated cycle. Tartaros died because the only way to level up was to blow money on upgrading your weapon to +15 otherwise you just couldn’t do damage. After the disaster in the Izlude cave yesterday, I’m starting to think RO2 is headed in the same direction. They may be able to earn money from gamblers for a while but from casual players like me, nope. Especially nope when I’ve seen servers like this pretty much go out of commission due to it being run so poorly. I’ll continue playing for a bit to see how far I can go without doing all these ridiculous dungeons but I get the feeling I’ll be leaving RO2 before May ends. It’s a shame that I have the feeling RO2 will never get off the ground and earn the same fanfare that RO1 did. It also seems like once people hit the cap (which at the moment is 50) there is little to do in the game unless you blow money on cash items.
If anything, RO2 has made me want to try RO1 renewal instead (；´∀｀).