So somehow I’ve managed to crawl to my 8th anniversary despite 2016 being a terrible year in most other aspects. 😂 But hey it’s a time for celebration and reflection so let’s look back on the things that happened and as usual, check out my terrible yearly otome game awards!
So as usual let’s look back on some key notes of the past year:
- Lots of Otome games are getting localized! Finally all my non Japanese speaking friends and readers can enjoy the games I’ve
painfully sat throughenjoyed all these years! 😂 Just kidding, I actually plan to get 3 of the games on that list because as it turns out, I actually never played them, and English localizations are usually 1/3 the price of the Japanese ones! May as well! Let’s take a look at what’s coming in 2017:
- Memorable Localization Disasters. I’m sure we can all remember the 2 prominent localization goof ups we had this year. The first one, was the Beastmaster & Prince kickstarter. It started like a good idea, but the company came in unprepared, didn’t have enough high tiers, didn’t offer all the goodies until there was only 2-3 days left. Poorly advertised it never met the goal, but honestly the goal seemed rather…unrealistic anyway. Of couse let us not forget the wtf is going on mess with the Taisho Alice licensing that left everyone confused whether it was actually legit or not. Seems like maybe it is? Only time will tell at this point!
- Not everyone wants their games in English. Honeybee is certainly not pleased with people translating their games and making patches and they sent a cease & desist letter to one of the groups. That’s ok honeybee, your games won’t be missed anyway, you time in the spotlight ended in 2011.
- Spike Chun realizes we love Kenka bancho Otome. Spike Chun USA held a poll on their twitter asking fans to vote their favorite game that they’d like to see localized. It was a rough battle, but the otome armada came through in the end and KBO ended up winning the top spot.
- Quin Rose’s Site Dies. Well it was inevitable, but their site kinda died while I was midst playing Crimson Empire. Made it a bit annoying trying to figure out how to spell everyone’s names. (；・∀・)
- Broccoli bans Americans from viewing their youtube videos. I’m not sure what this is supposed to accomplish other than make me hate Broccoli more than I already did for their Utapri cow milking and poor quality game releases.
- Mystic Messenger is a so popular it causes people to act like entitled twats. Ok I’m being a bit harash here but it’s true. Apparently a bunch of people cheated the timer system and got their accounts banned…so they created an online petition to unban them. The nerve lol! “Yea we totally stole something we should have paid money for but it’s so unfair for you to ban us!” Also apparently being a college student is a ticket to getting things for free. Wish that applied to me while I was in college, I wouldn’t have had student loans! 😂 Honestly while MM seemed interesting, the time based system just doesn’t work for me as I only have specific times of day I can otome game. That just means I won’t play MM, I’m not gonna be entitled and rage at the maker (who ended up unbanning them btw lol) to change it for me! If MM ever goes “Buy all routes and play at your own time” system, I’ll probably pick it up. (Though honestly from some of the spoilers I’ve seen, there’s nothing new or shocking or surprising in MM that I haven’t seen in the 200+ otome games I’ve completed in the last 8 years.)
- Yumecast Takes Over! So I jumped on the idol game bandwagon because I got a new phone (which was then rudely taken away from me forcing me to use my old phone for a month which was utter suffering…) and the one that stuck to me the most was Yumeiro cast. Yumecast mostly because it had a heroine with eyeballs who had her own personality and felt like she was part of the cast….rather than how most music games are just boys having fun with each other. 😂 (Which is ok if you’re into that but I wanted something more otome!) And so I’ve probably already spent like $200 on this game and I pretty much play daily so it’s taken a huge chunk of my regular otome game time….but it also helped me distract myself when I’m feeling lousy so I do thank Yumecast for what it’s worth. I’ve reached level 60 in about 3 months so here’s to more Yumecast. Hopefully I can play long enough to make to my fav dude’s birthday in June 2017 😂.
- Other stuff. Well unrelated to otome but my health plummeted the 2nd half of August and I’m still recovering from the damage. I learned a valuable lesson to not give a fuck about everything so much because stress and anxiety can really affect your physical health. So now I’m just working on improving that and hopefully things will resolve in 2017. Unfortunately it doesn’t help that my country just elected a——well never mind not even gonna go into that on here. 😂💦 Oh and my phone became an explosive device candidate that was prohibited on an airplane, so I was forced to cut my vacation to return it while in Vegas. That really sucked lmao. Let’s move on to the otome game awards!
🛑 Kusoge of the Year: Believer! 🛑
🛑 Worst Vita Port: Ayakashi Gohan Oomori 🛑
🛑 Worst Fandisk: Ayakashi Gohan Okawari 🛑
🛑 Stealth R-18 CG Award: Kami Gami no Asobi -Infinite- 🛑
🛑 The “I can’t believe I played on a PSP for 3 years award”: Jewelic Nightmare 🛑
🛑 Worst System of the Year: Beasts & Princess 🛑
🛑 The Nyquill Award for Most Sleep Inducing Game: ~Oumagatoki Kakuryo no Enishi~ 🛑
🛑 Biggest waste of $11: My Lovely Cat 🛑
🥈Furriest Heroine Award: Nyan Love🥈
🥈Most Unnecessary Amount of Endings: Wizard & Master🥈
🥈My First & Last Quin Rose Game: Crimson Empire🥈
🥈Haruka Has Been Found: Uta no Prince-sama Music 3🥈
🥈Fabio Honorary Award for Trashy Romance Novel: Nil Admirari no Tenbin🥈
🥈Akward Staff Change Award: Eikoku Tantei Mysteria🥈
🥈Fake Gamer Girl Award: Period Cube🥈
🥈Shitty RNG Award: Wand of Fortune R🥈
🥈Lack of Hot Springs Action Award: Yunohana Spring FD🥈
🥈Worst Trophy Completion Award: Dance with Devils🥈
🥈The Hideaki Anno Award for Best Homage to Evangelion: Yukyuu no Tearblade🥈
🏆 Worst Oniichan Award: MoshiKami 🏆
🏆 Best Boob Chomp: Kyoukai no Shirayuki 🏆
🏆 Best Comedy: Taisho Alice 🏆
🏆 The Michael Jackson “Thriller” Award: 7’sCarlet 🏆
🏆 Best Detective Drama: Collar x Malice 🏆
🏆 Best Sci-Fi: Himawari -pebble in the sky- 🏆
🏆 Best Game of the Year & 地上最強の嫁: Kenka Bancho Otome 🏆
Thank you to everyone who submitted a picture of Bread Master Lee, who only ever comes out on April Fool’s posts and these Anniversary posts 😂
Once again, broken record thanks to everyone who visits, comments, and reads this blog as well as my twitter babbles. The console market is kinda going downhill because everything is going to mobile. Mobile games are still not up to par with quality of console games in my opinion, but makers make what sells even if it’s utter garbage. My Vita is still alive & kicking after 2 years (unlike my PSP 😂) so as long as they continue making otome games for it, I’ll continue trucking along. This year’s Otomate party was disappointing and it’s obvious that based on low sales they’re branching out into mobile and drama CDs now. It’s sad that eventually everything will be mobile, but as long as they can keep the quality the same as console I don’t mind. I’ve yet to see this though as most mobile games, (aside from the idol music games) that I’ve encountered have been template and mediocre (see everything by Voltage.) 2016 has been a less than stellar year for a lot of things, but let’s hope for a better 2017! (●´ω｀●) And now I leave you all with the yearly blog stats:
Top 5 Referrals (ignoring search engines and wordress itself):
- My Anime List
- Reverse Harem Garden
So overall, social media continues to be the top hit for me aside from google search results.
Top 5 posts:
- Prince of Stride Review
- OZMAFIA!! review
- Dialovers More Blood Review 😨
- Dialovers HBD Review 😨😨
- Norn 9 Review
Why review new games when people only wanna read stuff I wrote 4 years ago about wife beating vampires 😂😂😂 Someday…I hope these things get dethroned from the top 5. That day is not today.
Top 5 Search Engine terms (excluding anything with the blog name and “otome game”):
- otouto scramble izumi
- otouto scramble
- otouto scramble walkthrough
- diabolik lovers game
- amnesia later