Somehow this blog has reached its 6 year anniversary, and somehow it’s still somewhat active! Okay I admit, I probably played 1/4 the amount of games as I did in previous years but I’ll just put the blame on FF14 pretty much taking over most of my otome gaming time this year. Seeing how I don’t plan to quit anytime soon (even though sometimes I think I really should..) this sad pattern is probably going to continue ／(^o^)＼ﾅﾝﾃｺｯﾀｲ
2014 Things of Note:
↑am I a prophet or what?
Vita Vita Vita – If it wasn’t already obvious, half the games I played this year were on the Vita. Hell I don’t even wanna buy PSP games anymore cause I figure eventually they’ll probably be ported to Vita anyway! Companies like Broccoli, D3P, Takuyo and obviously Otomate have all jumped on the bandwagon. Even new companies releasing games are focusing on Vita releases. I’m quite happy because the Cgs are bigger, the screen and text are easy on the eyes and the annoying sound of the UMD is gone. Unfortunately, I cannot broadcast my vita games which pretty much brings me to my next point:
Goodbye Otome Broadcasts – Due to the move to the Vita, and with no way to stream Vita to Twitch my broadcast is pretty much dead. I’ve removed the link from the sidebar a while ago. Once in a while I will order a PC game and broadcast that but otherwise most of my purchases are on Vita and sadly that means no broadcast. I do want to thank everyone who has come by all these years and those who still drop by when I broadcast my once-in-a-while PC game!
FF14 Took over my life – Well I’m just beating a dead horse here but yea sorry I’m spending a lot of time there. Even though most of the things I do there are focused around fishing…yes I pay $15 a month to fish virtual fish 😆 Also whenever a new patch comes out that basically means a month of no otome gaming lol. I’m trying to get better at balancing both and sometimes I’m playing while fishing to try to multitask orz. Well basically that’s what contributed to lack of completed games this year. Also doesn’t help that I have very little motivation to go back to my PSP backlog when the Vita is so much nicer to look at (´・ω・｀)
Boyfriend (beta) – FF14 aside, I also spent a huge chunk of the year punching my phone doing all sorts of BF events. By now I’ve pretty much resigned to only do the Nanpa events and ignore all others because I just can’t make it into the ranking unless I pay money and I pretty much play this for free.
I finally played a Voltage game – I’m not even counting be my princess since I quit that immediately but I finally legit bought 3 routes in one of their games – Serendipity Next Door. I gotta say the translation is funny but the CGs are awful and the “pay for more endings/specials/epilogues” system is a ripoff lol.
And now let’s look at the games I actually completed this year! From December 4, 2013 to December 3, 2014 I’ve completed a total of 17 games (not including any mobile stuff.) Wow 17 wtf am I doing ＿ﾉ乙(､ﾝ､)_. That’s not even 2 per month FAIL. Alright fine let’s make it 18 because I DID play Ima Sugu Oniichan ni Imouto Datte iitai which is a full game just not otome! 😛
♥Games That Were Awesome♥:
- Shinobi Koi, Utsutsu – From an extremely catchy OP song, to extremely moe guys THIS WAS MY FAVORITE GAME IN 2014. |萌|･´∀`･)ﾊｧﾊｧ 萌えぇぇ↑ And there’s even a Vita port coming out and even though I own the limited PSP edition I’ll PROBABLY SELL THE LIMITED PSP AND BUY THE LIMITED VITA LOOOLLL. GARAIYA MARRY ME chu━━━(○´3`(●´3`(○´3`(●´3`(○´3`)━━━!! I mean, this was a very deep story about a kunoichi working very hard to be a ninja with her peers at ninja academy…:P
- Glass Heart Princess Platinum – The Fandisk to GHP which is obviously gonna be moe fanservice. Overall it was really cute…except for shota-kun growing up to be an obnoxious asshole and ruining his own route. (´・ω・｀) Otherwise, the main 4 guys had good routes!
- Meiji Tokyo Renka – While the backgrounds were shitty and the art was mostly derpy, the characters were pretty fucking moe. The story was all sorts of balls and I couldn’t stand the heroine, but the guys and their voice actors (and dummy head mic huehue) mostly made up for that.
- Watashi no Jyuujitsushisugiteiru – Mouthful of a title but this was my first dive into Tetrascope’s games. I’m definitely a fan and I really should hurry up and finish First Complex ヾ(´▽｀;)ゝ!!
- Sakuya – Another one of Tetrascope’s games which was very well written even though you really only get to end up with 1 guy the whole time. I definitely recommend the paid version over the free one.
- Re:Vice[D] – My first Vita game from Otomate! Kinda reminds me of how the Hiiro no Kakera FD Piece of Future was my first PSp game! Ike was on the art team and even though the style might take getting used to, the characters were very enjoyable! The heroine was probably the most amazing part of the whole thing though so I can recommend this game just for her alone!
- Binary Star – WHO KNEW I’D BUY A GAME ABOUT DRUG BUSTIN but it was great! The characters are all amazing, (except the nutcase drug dealers save for Michiru bebe) and the heroine is awesome! The artstyle once again might make people think everyone is high & trippin balls but in fact that’s not the case at all! 😀 Another great Vita game to come out this year.
- Trigger Kiss – By the same staff as Glass Heart Princess, I didn’t expect any less from these guys. Sure we were a bit low in the romance department, but it was funny shit and I pretty much laughed all the way to the end. Hoping they will release an fandisk to fill in all the missing romance bits!
- Dot Kareshi III We’re 8 Bit Lovers – The final installment of the Dot Kare series, just as great as the other ones. I honestly don’t remember much since it was nearly a year ago but I know I enjoyed all 3 dot kare series though I think I’ve fallen for that Takahashi Naozumi slime-kun huehuehue ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
- Ima Sugu ni Imouto Datte Iitai – I know this isn’t an otome game but I still enjoyed it! The protag was partially voiced but still having a voice on him really made a difference in a lot of scenes. Also he’s got more balls than most eroge or otome game protags I’ve run into so he gets browny points from me.
Σ（ﾟдﾟlll） Games That Were Bleh:
- Kami Gami no Asobi – Look the game DID have moe parts but only when it wasn’t just one giant BL fest 😆 It’s also irritating that the ends with all the bromance were actually better written than the ones with the heroine which were mostly copy/pasta of each other. I mean hell if you’re gonna put more effort into the BL parts just make the damn thing a BL game. Why even bother putting a heroine in ヽ(。_゜)ノ. The anime was far far worse, as expected of Broccoli-san. (Also props to whoever made that video I’m laughing so hard I’m crying ((((((((((ﾉ∀`)･ﾟ･｡ ｱﾋｬﾋｬﾋｬﾋｬ )
- Snow Bound Land – Seemed like the premise was good but ruined by mostly wangst and the main hero being a total douchemuffin. Only recall Ono Yuuki’s character being a moecake but otherwise most of the story and characters were forgetful. The art was pretty good so it’s a pity really. Also there were way too many choices in the common route that made it painful to go through multiple times.
- Arcana Famiglia 2 – It started out pretty well but then just became REALLY DEPRESSING. It’s like in order to reach a happy end with the guy they had to suffer a horrible fate due to the tarrot cards. If you’re a fan of Jolly you should just stay dafuq away because he probably had the worst ending of them all. Good thing I’m a fan of Ash and his route was fucking awesome XDDD.
- New Edition Heart no Kuni no Alice – I really wish I never bought this lol. They cut a lot of Cgs out, added really dumb character basterdizing scenario, added a bunch of padded text to make up for the lack of turns…yea. To add salt to the wound, they released an English version but with the quality of google translate. I haven’t really touched any Quin Rose games since (´・ω・｀)…
- Minus 8 – Seemed like it was gonna be one of those silly funny rejet games. Well it was – the first time around. After that it just became a skip-a-thon copy pasta for all the other guys and some of the endings just felt short and anticlimatic. The art wasn’t that great either so not being able to enjoy the characters really hurt the game for me.
- Chronostacia – Again seemed like a nice premise, nice art…but that was all ruined by poor programming and writing. The game lagged like a snail stuck on flypaper and the story endings all had ye olde’ Otomate deus ex machina power of love saves the day resolutions. Also having at least 1 disgustingly hateful character show up and fuck things up in every route was irritating.
- The Residents of Clover Library – Unfinished game released way too soon with only 3 dateable characters while having you interact with 6?? Mio pls get with the program. Or better yet don’t bother making anymore games because all your good Asaki Yumemishi staff must be gone now since your last few releases were pretty awful.
- Hanasaku Manimani – Prostitution taken lightly, terrible time travel tropes that end up being a deus ex machina for nearly ever ending. A pity since the sprite art was nice and the music was really great.
(*´д｀*)ﾊｧﾊｧ My Favorite 2D Mans of the Year:
- Loki from KamiAso
- Ash from Arcana Famiglia
- Haku from Hanamani
- Slime from Dot Kare
- Mikado from Trigger Kiss
- Tchicai from Binary Star ( actually I love just about everyone tbh lol)
- Yukine from Reviced
- Ougai-san from Meikoi
- Garaiya is mai waifu (from Ninkoi :P:P)
Stats & All Dat Jazz:
Top 5 Referrals
- Macuyo’s Blog linking to my guide for her game Get Dumped 😆
- A tumblr that teaches how to pirate KamiAso on Psp 🙄
- Another site that talks about Macuyo’s game
- MAL topic about the Kokoro Connect scandal (didn’t know people still cared?)
Top 5 Search Keywords:
- kamigami no asobi
- diabolik lovers more blood
- get dumped walkthrough
- otome game review
- otome game
Top 5 Most Popular Posts:
With Vita games being the new thing now it’s really hard to return to the old PSP. I may end up returning some old PSP games back to bookoff. Since a lot of stuff in my backlog had pretty bad or mediocre reviews, the motivation just isn’t there. If I had more time (and wasn’t playing FF14) I’d probably play them anyway..but now I pretty much only slot in new games into my available free time. The good thing about stuff like BF is I can quit & come back to it anytime really without much loss which is why I’m still playing it after 9 months. I didn’t mention it anywhere but I was also busy with project diva!
I enjoy these games a lot so that definitely took up a chunk of my play time for a month or so. Anyway hoping for decent games for 2015. Don’t have too much interest and I’ve been a lot pickier nowdays. I used to order limited editions all the time but now I’m mostly sticking to regular ed’s. Thanks to the yen value becoming lower & lower I’m less hesitant to buy games that I know are probably going to be bad :lol:. I’m also hesitant to order PC games because I figure “well what if it gets ported to Vita with extra content?” So anyway a lot of stuff is “we’ll see what happens” for me right now and since I’m not really caring much for tokutens anymore (my wall is full of CD Japan’s 2L sized portraits) I don’t mind waiting for reviews and then buying a used/discounted copy.
Once again thanks to everyone for sticking with this blog all this time. Thanks to any new readers that have recently come on board. Most of all thanks to everyone who stops by and leaves comments. Those always keep me motivated and it’s fun to rage about stuff together :D. Can’t wait to see what new things are brought to the otome game world in 2015!