Somehow this blog has rolled around to its 7th anniversary and somehow I’ve still not ragequit otome game blogging despite the awful amount of crap games I sat through this year ／(^o^)＼. If you’re still reading, or if you’re a new reader, sit back, relax and let’s ride down the memory lane of the past 12 months!
Let’s start with the usual things of note that happened in the past year:
- Quin Rose goes bankrupt: In case you somehow have not heard the news in September, Quin Rose is gone. Their site is still up, but the company has closed its doors and rumors have it that the president took the money and ran to Hawaii :lol:. The ironic thing is they even announced a new game in B’s log, but after someone found a notice on their door all their stuff was removed without a trace from both B’s Log and DGS, cutting the magazine volume in half. I mean I knew shit was bad with all their derpy art, constant pushing out of bad games and inconsistency but then some of the staff began coming out of the closet and revealed that their scripts were passed around multiple freelance writers like ring around the rosey. So basically the writers were told to just “write” with what they were handed so people playing the game would get inconsistent OOCs of characters for inexplicable reasons. Due to this, my desire to play the 2 games I bought from them has been low and they’ve been sitting on my window sil for the past 12 months collecting dust as I buy other games and prioritize them instead. One of these days…I’ll get to them….(;´･ω･)
- I DOLL U artist dies: The great mangaka Fujiwara Cocoa passed away this year just before the release of her first and last otome game, I DOLL U. Unfortunately I DOLL U suffered from issues beyond its artwork, and its a pity that her last game was mediocre at best. I really enjoyed Inu x Boku though so at least that’s a work I will always remember from her.
- Otome Music Game Mobile Extravaganza: I pretty much quit mobile games because I was tired of the daily gacha/login/mini game grind but I guess it’s a hit with everyone else. A lot of mobile music games have come out (I CHU, IDOLMASTER M, etc.) for more 2D man cards to collect. Fortunately I just don’t have time for these things and I’m glad as it would be yet another thing to suck away time to get through my Vita backlog lol. I think Touken Ranbu is still going strong but yet another game I just avoided at this point to prioritize time for games I want to review.
- Otome Games in English!: This itself isn’t new, but we got 3 official english localizations this year: Amnesia, Norn9 and Code Realize. Unfortunately, Aksys’ handling of Norn9 was less than stellar:
I did buy the Norn9 port but after playing a bit of it, I’m just gonna shove it on to my husband to finish before I sell it and re-import the Japanese edition. I think because I understand Japanese the translation differences just jump out at me, probably a lot more than someone who may not understand a word being spoken.
I spoke with Karen from Aksys over twitter and she explained that they had to outsource translations due to being busy which caused them to not have time to go over the text bugs. She also mentioned that it’s probably too expensive to release a patch fix for all the typos/text bugs and finally she explained that the jokes/internet memes are basically the ~flavor~ of the editor that is working on the game. Additionally from what I understand they don’t have any inhouse game testers so when they translate it’s just a block of text. That means they have to guess on what is going on so it’s possible the person editing had no idea that the んっ！ was a kissing scene rather than someone being strangled and choking for breath. So that means, if you are unhappy with the choking sound effects during kissing scenes, or corny doge memes – that’s just how Aksys localizes their games. It’s probably not going to change so you can either deal with the way they release things or just learn Japanese if you want to see the original “feel” of the game.
- I didn’t play any galge: Every year I try to play at least one visual novel targetted towards dudes for a change of pace but….I bit more than I can chew this year with the FFXIV expansion and I just didn’t have time. Maybe next year?
- Anime → Otome Game: Dance with the Devils is the first anime I’ve seen that was intentionally made to then be turned into an otome game. (Stuff like Ouran doesn’t really count.) Unfortunately using the same artwork as anime makes it less than appealing for me to spend money on. Also wut:
And now let’s take a look at all the games I played since last anniversary. I’ve completed a total of 21 games (woulda been 22 had I not decided to do the relic questline in FFXIV :lol:). I decided for my 7th anniversary to go back to the ~made up awards~ format so here goes! I’ll go from worst to best. I’ve color coded each title for Bronze, Silver & Gold ratings. And as usual disclaimer, this is just my personal opinion on the games and is by no means a representation of anyone or anything!
★ クソゲーof the Year: Reine Des Fleurs★
★Most Confusing Stat Raiser: Prince Pia Carrot★
★Plot Copy-Pasta & Biggest Disappointment: Possession Magenta★
★One Hit Wonder: Hitofuta Kitan★
★Trashiest Shocomi Production & This-Is-Not-Takuyo Award: Rakuen Danshi★
★ Fandom Fodder Award: Marginal 4★
★ “Git Out Muh Man-Zone!” Award: Senjou no Waltz★
★ The Worst Idol Group: I DOLL U★
★ “This Should have been 1 game” Award: Brothers Conflict Brilliant Blue★
★ “It was good the first time” Award: Re:Birthday Song★
★ Worst Fairy Tale Adaptation: Oyayubihime★
★ “Worst_Stride_Ever.mp4” Award: Prince of Stride★
🌟Best Fandisk: Amnesia World🌟
🌟Best Game to play on Halloween & Best Brocon: Sweet Clown🌟
🌟Best Stealth Character: Yunohana Spring🌟
🌟Best Doujin Game: First Complex🌟
🌟Best Sequel: Norn 9 -Last Era-🌟
🌟Best Game System: KLAP -Kind Love & Punish-🌟
I think this video speaks for itself (｣･∀･)｣
🌟Best Game of the Year: Code Realize🌟
And that covers all the awards except for the 2 ports I played of Ninkoi and Clock Zero. I honestly don’t really know what to rate them because I enjoyed the original games but I didn’t feel like the new content was anything to write home about. The Nakaba route wasn’t really what I expected and the “sequel” with the new ninjas just didn’t feel as great as the original (and the meromero bgm was so annoying blah!) Therefore I didn’t really want to slot them into the award list but it also made me realize that I probably shouldn’t bother buying ports of games I already played. Now with that out of the way, I bring to you: FANART FROM THE READERS.☆彡 Last week I asked on Twitter if anyone would be kind enough to draw fanart of Breadmaster Lee (the hidden mascot that only shows up on April Fool’s day posts of this blog) and lo & behold some awesome people contributed their great works! 😀
Thank you everyone who submitted, makes me wish I could make time to practice drawing again (´；ω；`). And now for the usual yearly stats:
Top 5 Referrals:
A tumblr post about R-18 otome games 😆
Top 5 Search Words: (took out stuff like breadmasterlee/otome game)
get dumped walkthrough
brothers conflict game
eroge for android
diabolik lovers more blood
galge for android
Top 5 Most Accessed Posts:
Diabolik Lovers More Blood Review
R-18 Otome game rant post
Diabolik Lovers HDB Review 😅
Brothers Conflict ~Passion Pink~ Review
UtaPri All Star Review
A lot of my stats are a bit skewed because of the way google is now hiding search referrals. I used to get some pretty funny blog hits oh well. ┐(´д`)┌ Also deep sigh at how much people are still interested in Diabolik Lovers. Hopefully with Code Realize and Norn9 being out there the English otome fans start migrating to greener pastures :lol:. Oh well to each their own I guess!
Once again, thanks to everyone who reads this blog, follows me here and on twitter. Once again I’m sorry I can’t seem to juggle FFXIV and otome games that well (especially during a new update patch!) And once again thank you for being patient with me all these years. (‘ω’)ノ I got to know a lot of you guys through tweets and comments, and it’s great to be able to connect with fellow otome game fans once again. It’s great to be able to connect to new otome fans because of localizations, even if I am not a huge fan of the way some of them are handled. I’m still sad that I can’t broadcast games anymore due to Vita limitations because especially this year, a lot of those terribad games would have been entertaining to communally rage with on Twitch :lol:. A lot of great Otomate games have been announced for 2016 so I’m mostly looking forward to that.
I still have 1 last game I ordered in 2015 coming later this month and along with that and Ayakashi Gohan, that should wrap up the rest of the year. Perhaps in 2016 I will finally get to those 2 Quin Rose games collecting dust since they had somewhat decent reviews on Amazon :(；ﾞﾟ’ωﾟ’):…. Thanks for reading and here’s to another year of otome gaming! (ノ≧∀)ﾉわぁ～い♪