And so here we are 9 years later and this blog is not dead yet 😂. The otome game world is going through a lot of changes right now with mobile dominating the market so the year has been rather strange as far as releases. It’s been rather quiet in the middle of the year and suddenly the autumn brought me more games than I can actually finish and my backlog is out of control. Let’s look back at what happened the past year.
- E2 Roast – Well after everyone getting excited for Taisho Alice localization, E2Gaming came out and released a disaster with randos dubbing over all the voice actors, bad translation and a poor payment processing system. After getting flamed all over twitter and facebook, E2 closed their facebook page and disappeared from sight. Their owner was last seen doing translations on his instagram so seems like he’s still continuing….whether or not we’ll see a release again remains unknown. Any attempts to get Primula to take back the license and give it to a more competent localizer ended in failure so I think at this point we can probably give up hope for a decent localization for this game. What a shame, I wish such a good game didn’t get such poor treatment.
- Otome game Kickstarters – Without going into names, I had a bad experience with an otome game kickstarter I supported which left a bad taste in my mouth on kickstarters in general. I’m probably never going to support otome game kickstarters again, but I’ll happily support a final release on steam or something instead.
- Better Quality Localizations – Aksys brought a lot of otome games this year but at the expense of quality control. Catcrackers did a detailed spoiler and non spoiler post regarding the errors in collar malice and well…it’s pretty bad. Forget translation errors though, stuff like incorrect names, and text being inside the name box or outside the text box is just sloppy. Charging $40 for this kind of release is just ridiculous, and since Aksys doesn’t intend to fix or apply patches due to “cost” doesn’t appear like there’s ever going to be a fix for it. It’s a strange position for me to be in because I don’t really buy localizations of jp games I already own, but I like to encourage my non Japanese speaking friends to buy it. It’s pretty depressing to hear them play it and constantly complain about typos and bugs ruining the enjoyment for them. This localization drama has been a hot topic for a few months now so I get the feeling we’re not done seeing the end of it just yet.
- Rejet is Mad – Iwasaki Daisuke, the CEO of Rejet went on a rant on twitter about how it’s too expensive to make games and that they’re losing profits because of piracy. The Japanese fans and viewers were annoyed because the blamed the lack of profits not on piracy but on the fact that Rejet produces the same boring content for years – I.e. idol/ayakashi/vampire drama CDs. And when they finally released a game (moshikami) it’s a traumatic experience that certain people can barely finish it. So no Rejet, while piracy is bad, you could work on putting effort into content other than idol drama CDs and shitty mobile game apps. They released a mobile idol music game which on the first day lagged so badly and the music game itself is just terrible – why in the world would I continue to support this? Pretty obnoxious tbh.
- Osomatsu Fujoshi got angry at me – Apparently taking pics of my B’s Log sent a bunch of them in a furious rage and they began tweeting at me to delete the pics. Seeing how there’s people who scan HD quality images from artbooks & magazines it’s pretty dumb to get mad at me at crappy cell phone pics lmao. Oh well Twitter has a nice block feature that I made use of. 😤 Although the amount of those who were happy to see the pics outnumbered the angry ones anyway so whatever.
- Otome games direction – So where are otome games headed now? It’s hard to tell. Otomate seems to be putting a lot of their games on PS4 but there’s also a lot of mobile games dominating the market now. Particularly shitty gacha based games that bore me after a couple hours are doing really well so I guess I’m out of sync with the majority of otome gamers nowdays. I have a Ps4 and I gladly welcome the PS4 move because I sure love my 2D man on my big screen tv. A lot of people in Japan still live with their families though and are against this because it means playing in the living room tv with their entire family being able to see and it kills the “privacy” aspect for them.
And now it’s time for my yearly otome game “awards” 😂😂 As usual these are games that I played since the last blog anniversary – not necessarily games that were released in the past year.
💩 Kusoge of the Year: Osomatsu-san the game ~Dead or Work!~ 💩
I think this video speaks for itself. The fact that I paid nearly $150 for this garbage that I couldn’t even finish. Hopefully Otomate learns from this, don’t release a character game and then remove 80% of the voices! (╬╬＾益＾)
💩 The Harvey Weinstein Award for Biggest Office Sexual Harassment: Office Lovers 💩
💩 The Twilight Award for Worst Vampire Game: Vamwolf Cross 💩
💩 The Beating Dead Horse Award: Norn 9 Act Tune 💩
😩The “As Seen on TV” Award for False Advertising: Code Realize FD 😩
😩The Snorlax Award for Laziest Heroine: Suran Digit😩
😩The 12-Sai Award for Most Juvenile Otome Game: Psychic Emotion 6😩
😩The Biggest Brocon Award: Taisho Alice FD😩
😩The “I’ll be Back” Terminator Award for revived Quin Rose staff: Shiro to Kuro no Alice😩
😩The Extremely Late FD Award: Shinobi Koi Utsusu FD😩
🎊Best Indy Game: How to Take off Your Mask🎊
🎊Best Galge & Longest Text Walls Award: Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai🎊
Honestly the best galge is default since it’s the only galge I played, but the story was pretty damn good and Naru is my favorite waifu. If you liked Taisho Alice definitely give this one a play – although be warned there’s a loooootttt of repetitive text.
🎊Best System & BDSM Award 2 Years in a Row: KLAP FD🎊
🎊Best Heroine & Still the Strongest Waifu on Earth: Kenka Bancho Otome FD🎊
🎊Best Comedy & English Localization: Bocchi Musume Produce Keikaku aka Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome🎊
🎊Best Sequel/FD: Nil Admirari no Tenbin ~Kuroyuri Enyoutan~🎊
Was pleasantly surprised how much better Tsugumi was in the 2nd game which improved the overall experience.
🎊Best Detective Story & Best Game of the Year: Sidekicks🎊
I didn’t have a fanart corner this year because I honestly feel so shitty asking people to draw me stuff for free. Instead I’ll work in improving my own art so every year my header image can look a little less crappy. 😂 Due to mobile games rising in popularity and me having almost no interest in them, the gap between most otome game fans and myself grows bigger every day. I obviously don’t get as many hits as I used to and not as many comments. I had actually considered completely closing off comments because I end up getting more spam to clear out than real comments anyway, but I haven’t made the full decision on this yet. My posts are a lot less “controversial” now too, I’ve actually really toned down my rage from previous years and I’ve stopped trying to play “Every” game that comes out. Now I try to see if a game will have elements I will dislike and I generally tend to avoid it. Overall it’s been a lot quieter on this blog – with 1-2 reviews per month on average and the fact that most people I think read twitter than my blog the motivation hasn’t been that high either. I’ve changed some of my post formats for stuff like FDs where I can’t be bothered to write a summary and instead I just write my thoughts. I think I only write summaries when there’s an actual involved story (like Nil Admirari FD) because otherwise I feel like a broken record especially with games where you got the 金太郎飴 problem. We’ll see what happens regarding PS4 and PS Vita otome games in 2018…my prediction is by 2019 Vita will be obsolete and most games will be on PS4 or mobile. I know D3P is trying Nintendo Switch but Nintendo has such weird rules regarding their content I can’t imagine this being a good otome game platform.
I didn’t mention games like FF15, Project Diva Future Tone or Taiko no Tatsujin which took a lot of my time this year but since they’re not otome games I didn’t include them in the award list. Since getting a PS4 I’ve been a bit more open to non otome games and maybe at some point I will (force my husband to) finish Nier:Automata too. 😂
As usual I want to thank everyone who still reads this blog after all these years and those who leave comments either on here on through my twitter. It may not seem like a big deal but comments are a motivator for me and well honestly it’s just fun to discuss and compare thoughts on the games I play with others. Hopefully for those of you sticking with localization you get better quality next year for games like 7’Scarlet. For those of you tired of the bullshit, I wish you luck on your Japanese language studies 😂. And as always may we have less kusoge in 2018! And now as always I leave you with the yearly stats:
Top 5 Referrals (Ignoring Search Engines):
- Reddit (thanks r/otomegames!)💕
- Otome Games Wikia article about Kenka Bancho Otome
- Reverse Harem (thanks ;))💕
Top 5 Most Viewed Posts (not including index pages):
- Kenka Bancho Otome Review
- Collar x Malice Review
- Diabolik Lovers Review 😱
- Period Cube Review
- Otouto Scramble Review 😱😱
Top Search Engine Results (Excluding obvious stuff like breadmasterlee or varieties of otome game):
- otosuku 😱😱😱
- otouto scramble quem sabe cozinhar (???? 😱😱😱)
- diabolik lovers game 😰
- kenka banchou otome game
- otouto scramble walkthrough 💀💀💀