Android Otome Game Review: Shisengumi ~Ayakashi Setsugekka~
Our heroine (who I randomly named Soho Kaori) finds herself being attacked by an ayakashi. She has no idea why they are after her but she also has no memories of who she is. A bunch of dudes who call themselves the Shisengumi come to be her saviors! They dress like the SHINSENgumi but in black and they got this modern ass spaceship station. They take Kaori there for the time being until the bad guy, Mikaze, keeps coming to try and take Kaori away. Official Site.
So okay I realize this is a free smart phone game and I should be happy BUT I’d rather pay a buck or two for something with a better story? Well the story is alright BUT it’s pretty much copy pasta from guy to guy. It’s like they literally take the same programmable text data and replace the name of the guy and maybe change one or two scenes. The story pretty much goes like this:
- Kaori is saved from the Ayakashi by DYA (dude you’re after) and taken to Shisengumi’s ship.
- She tries to ask who she is but nobody tells her anything.
- They all go to the amusement park and Kaori goes on the ferris wheel with DYA where you get CG 1.
- They visit Kaori’s house where she finds a photo of her dad then Mikaze sets her whole house on fire.
- Mikaze then tries to attack her several times, telling her to come to the NOAH ship.
- Shisengumi + Kaori go there and get defeated and separated with Kaori and DYA getting thrown into some deserted island.
- They stay on the island and their feelings get ~closer~ until finally some nice boat comes & picks them up.
- The boat happens to be a casino and DORAMA arises when Kaori and DYA are forced to stay in a room that only has 1 giant king size bed rowr!Awkwardness ensues.
- Mikaze comes back to kidnap Kaori but she falls off the boat into the sea where DYA rescues her (and you get CG2.)
- Mikaze takes Kaori away, makes her drink some medicine that wipes her memories. By the time DYA & the Shisengumi rescue her it’s too late.
- Turns out that DYA killed Kaori’s father because Kaori’s father tried to kill her since in fact Kaori was just his experimental subject to try and revive his dead daughter by combining her with an Ayakashi.
- Some time passes and depending on your choice Bad End: the DYA dies or Normal End: Kaori wakes up in a hospital with no memories of anything.
I never did get the best end even though I thought I made all the choices that “increase affection” (since you’ll see a lot of snowflake eye catches.) I even went through the routes twice but NOPE. So yea after 2 characters I gave up. So the 2 characters I did are…
Toyotomi Akihide- Aka Aki. The 14 year old shota cat boy and genius scientist. He’s not really a cat boy he just wears cat ears cause he thinks he’ll get the ladies that way. He’s kinda bratty and immature and at the casino he tries to be all tough and push Kaori on the bed to show her he’s a man! But yea he then is like “I mean I just want a hug boku” and that’s pretty much that. In the drama CD he’s voiced by Shimono Hiro.
Oda Nobihide – The gross ossan. This dude is 49 ok he’s like the same age as Kaori’s dad or something. He’s already had a wife who died and he still longs for her but somehow Kaori falls in love with him. I was like ( ´_ゝ｀) the whole time and he’s not a bad guy but why the hell would you just be like off the bat “oh btw I’m 49.” Fine you wanna add an older dude, at least make him 35 or something ugh. During the nice boat hotel room stay it was even weirder cause she was all like nervous that he was taking a shower and had to walk out naked asking for a towel while she closed her eyes. AHHH おまわりさん、こっちです. He’s voiced by Nakai Kazuya in the drama CD but yea the ossan thing kinda killed most of this route for me.
So yea the combination of copy pasta and failure to get the best end 3 times I kinda gave up lol. I looked around for a walk through and doesn’t seem like there is one? It’s really dumb to have the affection eye catch system too but then some choices don’t actually show if you’ve picked the right one or now so pretty much you’re stuck being like gee wiz I wonder what the hell actually gives me the best ending. Seeing how the story is like copy pasta identical with all the guys I can’t imagine that the best ends will be that much more interesting so I decided to stop. The paid version of the game has extra CGs and endings but I think each route costs like $5? $5 for copy pasta route no thanks….
Also the game felt like it was trying to be like Hiiro no Kakera really badly (which is funny since you’d think it would try to be like Hakuoki). The monster sprites, the battle BGMs and the redhead guy being voiced by Sugita Tomokazu in the drama CD…Coincidence? I think not… . Well if you have nothing better to do or you just love anything Shinsengumi related it’s free and available for both iOS & Android.